How to Install a UV light on your AC
Ultraviolet (UV) light plays a vital role in improving indoor air quality. Ultraviolet provides a unique service to air conditioning as it is helpful to eliminate the bacteria and the possibility of mold spores before it can reach living areas. It can make a noticeable difference in the atmosphere of your home.
The Benefit to Installing Ultraviolet Light
- Reduces Blockage in the Condensate Drain Line
- It removes Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC)
- Lessens Allergens
- Kill Bacteria and Mold Spores
- Decrease Energy Costs
- Improve Efficiency
- Increase Airflow
- Remove Air Pollutants, Smoke, and Chemical Odors
Although air condition manufacturing companies are installing a light for air purification, you can also do it on your own. However, unless you have an experience you can get service done from professional, it will be good if call a technician to ensure successful and effective installation. Whichever way you choose, you can’t go wrong.
Type of UV Light
- Cool Sanitizing – This system is less expensive but helpful to perform a significant for the HVAC System, but the drawback of this UV light is that it is not as powerful to decontaminate HVAC system.
- Air Sterilizing – This light is expensive than its counterparts because it is much more powerful. It cleans all the contaminants in the air that would otherwise enter the home and into the breathing air. This is best for the people that have severe allergy and asthma.
Way to Install a UV light
One set of lights is fixed over the air conditioner coil in the duct, and another set is attached in the return air duct before air handler. Air Probe Sanitizers are the most common lights that are available in various design and different sizes and can be placed in any air handling system. For the best solution, order the light according to the recommendation and specification are given by the maker.
Where light is to be installed, cut an opening more than the size of the base of the Ultraviolet mounting in the duct. The most important step is to mark the position and fix the mounting, slide in the casing for the light through the opening. Adjusting the screws by marking the position of the holes and for connection of wire for the casing on the duct by a template. Drill holes from outside pass joining lead out from the hole.
Set the casing inside and insert screws inside and fix with nuts from outside the duct fix the ultraviolet light into the housing. Close the opening in the duct with a sheet of tin and seal it with duct tape firmly. The last step is to connect and set the light which connects the air condition UV light to a standard electric outlet and set the thermostat setting on a position in place of the auto switch on the system to start the function of light.